Things to think about.
Guess what? You are not alone:
- In a given year, nearly 20% of adults in the United States experience an anxiety disorder.
- One in four adolescents ages 13-18 will experience an anxiety disorder at some point.
- In fact, anxiety disorders are the most common mental health problem that people experience.
- Being shy or behavioral inhibited as a child
- Being female
- Few economic resources
- Being divorced or widowed
- Being exposed to stressful life events
- Having close biological relatives with anxiety disorders
- Being depressed (nearly 50% of those diagnosed with depression also have an anxiety disorder)
Despite there being some excellent treatments, only around one-third of people with an anxiety disorder receive treatment.
Anxiety disorders cost the United States $42 billion dollars per year, more than half of that for people seeking medical care for their anxiety symptoms.