Physical signs of anxiety may include:
- abdominal discomfort
- dry mouth
- rapid heartbeat or palpitations
- tightness or pain in chest
- shortness of breath
- frequent urination
- difficulty swallowing
- trembling, numbness
- feeling light-headed
- chills or hot flashes
- tight-throat or choking sensation
Psychological signs of anxiety may include:
- irritability or anger
- decreased concentration
- feeling unreal or not in control
- racing thoughts
Behavioral signs of anxiety may include:
- avoiding anxiety triggers
- asking for reassurance
- taking “safe people” along when you go out
- scanning for “danger”
- carrying “safety” objects
- tensing muscles
- performing rituals/compulsions
Types of anxiety thoughts may include:
- Danger, danger, danger!!!
- I can’t handle this!
- I will collapse!
- I will lose control or lose my mind!
- I will become ill!
- I will be harmed!
- I am trapped—this will never get better!